Welcome back to Fig Series, Part 3! If you haven’t read Parts 1 or 2, click below to see what I’ve made so far with figs in the kitchen!
As is it fig season in our backyard, my family and I have been making all kinds of desserts and meals using our fresh figs. My family’s love for ice cream got upgraded when we decided to add a twist to our favorite coffee ice cream. This recipe is super easy, as you don’t need an ice cream maker. All you need to do is whip up the heavy whipping cream, add in your flavor and stick it in the freezer to harden.
We decided to be adventurous and added in our homemade fig jam into the ice cream mixture along with some dark chocolate chunks. The result was a beautifully rich ice cream with a background flavor of coffee and bits of fig jam and dark chocolate swirled throughout. For those that can’t seem to find a flavor of ice cream you love, or the one you love is a seasonal flavor, now you can make it at home!
I love being able to take flavor combinations from my head and make them into tasteful creations!
Coffee & Fig Ice Cream – No Churn
makes: 6 cups of ice cream or 1 loaf pan
1/2 Cup coffee, cold
1 (14 ounces) can of sweetened condensed milk
2 Cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 Cup dark chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsp coffee liqueur
1/4 Cup fig jam
- In a bowl, combine the cold coffee, can of sweetened condensed milk, coffee liqueur, and a pinch of salt
- In a chilled mixing bowl, add the heavy whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form
- On low speed, pour in the coffee mixture into the whipped cream (don’t over mix)
- Pour half the ice cream mixture into a metal loaf, then sprinkle half of the dark chocolate and pour half of the fig jam on top
- Pour the rest of the ice cream mixture on top and add on the rest of the fig jam
- Using a butter knife or chopstick, gently swirl the ice cream mixture to disperse the fig jam
- Sprinkle the rest of the dark chocolate on top and cover with plastic wrap
- Store in the freezer for at least 6 hours or at best, overnight
One of the best things to beat this summer heat is with a large bowl of ice cream! This flavor combination is delicious! I love how you get the coffee-milky flavor and then a burst of dark chocolate and fig jam in every bite! And I love how every bite has a different flavor depending on what you scooped.
Sometimes I like to double the coffee ice cream base and add in different ingredients when I pour the mixture into the metal pans. Another great combo is dark chocolate and dried cherries, swirling in caramel or chocolate sauce, or adding in mini marshmallows and crushed up gram crackers! Can’t wait to see what other flavors of ice cream we can make!
Every day, Lai day! What is your favorite ice cream flavor??