There are just some days where you want to snack on something crunchy…but trying to lead a gluten-free eating style, you can be in a real pinch on what you can actually eat. For me, living at home I am surrounded by all these tasty chips and crackers that all contain gluten…so for a long time I just stuck to snacking on nuts and dried fruit. And there is nothing wrong with that, but when you see everyone else eating chips while watching TV, you for some reason also want to snack on something crunchy along with everyone else.
One day I finally couldn’t suppress the urge to grab something crunchy from the cabinet in the kitchen, so I decided I just needed to make something that would satisfy this craving to munch on something salty and crunchy. After looking through the internet and seeing all kinds of gluten-free crackers I found the Minimalist Baker’s recipe for 1-Bowl Vegan Gluten-free Crackers.
Easy Gluten-free Crackers adapted from Minimalist Baker
makes: about 3 dozen crackers (depending on the size you cut them)
3/4 Cup Gluten-free flour ( I used Better Batter)
2/3 Cup almond meal
2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon Everything Bagel seasoning (I used the Trader Joes’ version)
3 1/2 Tablespoon Olive oil
3-5 Tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (either uses a whisk or a food processor)
- Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl and use a fork to combine until crumbly
- Add in 1 Tablespoon of cold water at a time, until the batter starts to come together (took about 4 Tablespoons for my batter to form)
- Onto a parchment paper-lined cutter board, pour the batter out and cover with another sheet of parchment paper (this helps you roll the dough easier)
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out less than 1/2 cm (I rolled mine pretty thin to make sure they baked crispy)
- With a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut the dough into your desired cracker size
- Place the cut dough into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes (this helps with the transferring of the dough and makes for a crispier texture
- Carefully transfer the parchment paper and the crackers onto a baking sheet
- Once transferred, using a spatula carefully spread out the cracker pieces, about 2 cm between each cracker
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges start to get brown
- Let cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before transferring onto a cooling rack to allow them to completely cool
- Enjoy now, or store in a freezer bag for up to 1 month
These crackers are perfect on their own or great with hummus/ any other dip. Depending on the seasoning you can make these into whatever type of crackers you want! With the Everything Bagel seasoning, this crackers kind of reminded me of a ‘Wheat Thins’ cracker, even the texture is quite similar.
Now when I’m craving something crunchy, I can pull these out of the cabinet and munch away! And these have some much more nutrients than your regular store-bought cracker.
Every day, Lai day! Do you like hummus??